Johnny Cash

This piece I did in a few hours over a weekend. It is quite small compared to my other projects and only measures 5″x7″. It started off as a cheap canvas panel. I coverd it with a few layers of gesso, sanding it in between layers and a final coat of black Molotow spray in a can. then I sanded it down again with 800 wet sandpaper. I had to let it dry for a few days as the water used for the sanding, made the inside board a bit soft.

I then printed out the image in the size I needed, cut out a stencil and blocked it in. I used white Daler Rowney FW ink and started filling in. I have tried painting white on black before and it was a disaster. This time and just kept going and somehow it all worked out great. I think the fact that I used an Iwata Micron helped a bit. The overspray was minimal and I could go real tight. I did thin the ink with some Com-art medium and some water in order for me to build up the layers and not just get a big white blob on the first layer. When all was done, I used a 10/0 Rosemary and Co. brush to do the hair, first in white and then in black. I also used some more black in the airbrush just to make some of the areas the became grey, black again.

The final step was to give a nice  even coat of Molotow Matt clear.

Johnny Cash

Advertisements